Friday, November 30, 2012

2013 Shopping Ban

I know I've said I would do this, umpteen times already but I think I'm ready this time.

No shopping in 2013!

Here is my inspiration:

1) And Then We Saved's 2010 Spending Fast http://andthenwesaved.com/about-the-spending-fast/
2) Krystal at Work's 2011 Shopping Ban http://www.givemebackmyfivebucks.com/2010/10/13/shopping-ban/
3) and this article from the Thought Catalogue http://thoughtcatalog.com/2012/i-havent-gone-shopping-since-1997/

Reading these (and probably having to re-read them over and over again) has giving me the inspiration to try this for next year. I don't see myself going as extreme as #1 or 3 but I have found that I've been doing a lot better in the spending department lately because I haven't gone shopping. Makes sense, right, you can't spend money if you're not somewhere to spend money.

At the same time, I don't want to feel like I'm giving up my life, so I will still include some going out for dinner, movies, and some (very limited) craft supplies.

I will also need to buy some personal care items but I vow not to buy anything until I am out of it at home, except hair dye when its on sale because otherwise it can get expensive!

I may lose/gain weight next year (hopefully lose!) but I have sizes of pants ranging from 14-18 so I should be ok in the clothing department (I am going to look for a pair of black pants while shopping in the US this weekend) but I do need a new pair of running/gym shoes AND walking shoes, I was waiting for my trip to look into these. I killed (and I mean killed) my walking shoes on my honeymoon, they are dead. If I cannot find a suitable pair in the US I will wait until spring but then I will definitely need them so I will consider it a need and not a want at that point.

Other than that its regular bills and savings. I want 2013 to be the year that I am 100% fully out of debt and ready to buy that house! Wish me luck!

Have you tried a shopping ban? Did it work out for you?

TTFN,
Morgaine

2 comments:

  1. Right there with you! Though my motivation, is to be out of debt! I've broken something in myself over the last couple of months an now have to right that wrong.

    No shopping for me in 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The debt is my motivation too, I want to be finally rid of it in 2013. We can do it!!! :D

    ReplyDelete